Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
4.26.2004
 
Violence Against Liberals

Orcinus: A terrorist targets liberals

I thought this warranted some more exposure. What I want is for the right wing "moderates" to realize that you can't stir up resentment and demonize people without some nutjob taking you seriously and running off half-cocked to "get some Liberals".

From a Suntimes.com article:

The search also turned up a list of federal officials, political and public figures with the word "marked," next to the names. Breit told agents it meant "marked to die," because the people were liberal, opposed to gun rights or opposed to the current government.


and from a news release from the Brady Campaign:

Breit's library included The Turner Diaries, the anti-government cult novel that inspired Timothy McVeigh, and Guns, Freedom and Terrorism, the book authored by National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre, investigators said.


There is lots of traction and mileage to be had tapping into the Angry White Man demographic. They are politically active, they are feeling stressed as the market changes and they feel a great sense of entitlement about this country and its wealth. The right has been very effective at defining an enemy, the liberals, and stoking the anger that white men already feel as they watch their importance in society dwindle.

There are numerous factors involved in the disaffection that "guys like us" are feeling and it deserves more thought than I have given it thus far. Today's white males are living in a different world than their fathers. Definitions of manhood are changing as men are no longer the primary breadwinners and find that that role has been greatly reduced as more and more women leave to make their own way. The nature of work has shifted away from such "manly" pursuits such as manufacturing to less macho office work. As wealth becomes more and more concentrated we all become more and more marginalized and this is felt most acutely by those white males who were raised to believe that the doors to success and power would be open to them.

A few days ago I was in a local music store and overheard two guys talking politics. I didn't stand around and listen to what they had to say but I heard two phrases that raised my eyebrows. "The liberals are exploding..." and "It sounds racist but its true..."

Without knowing all that was said I won't know for sure what these men were talking about but here in Oklahoma I know better than to mention that I am a liberal. I frequently have people state their disdain for liberals quite openly, assuming of course that I am like-minded. I am not.

I am torn between being very out and "in your face" about being a liberal with the belief that its harder to demonize a familiar face, and being closeted about my politics. For now I choose closeted, not just to have access to people's unbiased opinions but for my own safety as well.

I feel that extremes on the right, the liberal haters are prone to violence, and I don't care to make myself a target any more than I have to.

|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens