Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
4.06.2004
 
Eternal Sunshine?

(spoilers)

I've been wanting to see the new Charlie Kaufman movie, because ever since I saw the preview for the first time I knew that there was something there that spoke to me. I wasn't sure what... but I had to go.

My plan was to catch the matinee and hopefully get the place to myself. This is one of the little perks of working retail hours. I though it was "mission accomplished" until about halfway through the previews when this group of about five girls walks in and sits about two aisles behind me.

damn...

The movie however did not disappoint me. Its a beautiful story about two people. Its a romantic comedy but one that I could relate to, which seems absurd when you consider its about mind erasure. But nonetheless, its more about how love is seldom happily ever after. Too many movies pander to your desire to see the happy couple reunite and walk off hand in hand. To the casual observer that may seem the case as Joel and Clementine stand there in the hall and decide to take a chance on their love for what would be the second time. You might assume that having learned of the tragedy of their first affair they would avoid those same pitfalls and make it through this time.

Not me... I saw two people that even upon learning that their love was a horrible collision with a predictable end they had come to understand that sometimes the times worth living are the ones experienced on a short timeline. It doesn't always have to be forever. You CAN go into a relationship with a clear eye on the inevitable disaster that awaits you and still have hope.

As Joel travels back through his memories we realize that even though he knows where his time with Clementine will lead he still cherishes those memories of her. They are not simply flawed, they are fatally wounded. We know the outcome, she grows to resent him and he comes to hate her. Still, knowing the outcome could not tarnish the good times they spent together.

Sometimes we fall in love with people that for one reason or another are both bad for us and irresistible to us.

I loved this movie.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens