Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
4.16.2004
 
Classy Cars

^^^Living on Less

I am pleased to be listed as a link to this website. The recent posts by "asfo_del" on April 3rd were especially useful to me: (no permalinks)

April 3, 2004 The Tangled Web of Overspending
April 3, 2004 Cars Unaffordable But Proliferating

My poor car is dying. Its got 195,000 miles on it and it is starting to leak oil pretty bad. Combine that with my newfound desire to find a pretty thing to spend more time with and I have a problem. Cars and dating are linked. What you drive is a projection of your social status. Whether we like it or not your car becomes a point of judgment. Pulling up to the curb in a leaky old car says something about you. What that something is however, is in the eyes of the beholder.

Our culture, which is largely, if not entirely, shaped by a media that is supported through the money spent by regular people on the products it is paid to advertise, is deeply steeped in the notion that owning things, especially flashy, expensive ones, is a source of pride and well-being. Therefore paying for gas is highly irritating, but paying for a gleaming, well-engineered machine is masterful and rewarding.


If my pride and well being were to be judged by the condition of my vehicle then I am in trouble from the get-go. The obvious answer to this problem is to go down to the dealership and pick out a nice pimping ride to woo the ladies with.

But there we hit the other snag. Following this logic leads many Americans and others in affluent countries to overspend. There seems to always be another flashy object that rises to the top of the "must have" list.

The Politics of Consumption: an Interview with Juliet Schor

Contrary to common belief, people generally have a lot of denial about what is actually motivating them in their consumer choices. For instance, most people are not willing to own up to the extent to which status-seeking influences their consumer behavior. Similarly, most people are unwilling to deal forthrightly with the issue of credit card debt - how much they take on in the pursuit of their lifestyle aspirations, why they take it on, and so forth.


The main source of drive for people to overconsume comes from our perception of what the ideal lifestyle should look like. According to Schor, that lifestyle looks less and less like the people around us and more and more like the people that exist in the electronic world we see. Of course most of us don't have the luxury of television production budget and corporate tie-ins with Ikea and Pier One to help us outfit our apartments and houses.

I take it as a matter of faith that the television world is created for the consumption of a particular demographic; the one with the most disposable income. This follows from the commercial driven model. The eyeballs that you want to see your product need to be the same as the wallets that can afford to pay for them. If you disagree with this assumption, let me know and we can have that conversation.

That we use television to judge our own place in the social strata is understandable. The extent that we do this will depend on the individual. I question the wisdom of basing your life decisions on a show like "Friends" where young people that never seem to work hang out all day in fairly nice New York apartments.

But I digress, and that has never happened before... ;-)

I would rather not buy a new/used car. I don't have that kind of money to spend. You would be surprised to see my income from last year. A part time sale person isn't raking in the big bucks, I can attest to that. That is a decision I have made. That I will be forced to make a purchase because no alternative exists doesn't seem like freedom to me. I live within the boundaries of institutions that direct my behavior. I find that at this point in time I am subject to two forces: the economic necessity of owning a car in a city where there is little to no public transportation, and the social necessity of owning a nice car in a dating environment where my "pride and well being" will be judge by that car.

The economic need far outweighs the romantic need. I've been single for a year and I can go longer. I'm pretty self-sufficient, emotionally. For now at least my car still gets me to work and back, even if that does mean trailing little clouds of smoke.

Back to Living With Less for a little reality check for the majority of us.

In 1998, the average price of a new car was $23,480. Yet 17 million new cars are sold in the U.S. every year, and the average U.S. household owns 1.7 cars. This in spite of the fact that car ownership is financially devastating to the average person in the U.S., who only makes $22,000 a year. Owning a car is estimated to cost about $8000 a year for a new car, and about half of that for a used car. Although the great majority of American adults own a car, about half of them cannot reasonably afford one without cutting down on necessities or sinking into debt.


The need for a car has remained steady or has increased, our incomes have stagnated or declined and the price for a car has increased. In the class war we are losing this battle.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens