Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
4.16.2004
 
Musical Moods

Wired News: Music Magic Found in the Shuffle:
"'As it's on shuffle I don't know what's coming up next, and it often surprises me how the same street can look lively and busy and colorful one moment and then when a different song starts, it can change to a mysterious and unnerving place,' Bull reports the interviewee as saying. 'I like the sensation though.'"


Reading this as I listen to a random selection of CD's that I have converted to mp3 for computer listening. As I convert more and more albums over I will get even more interesting varieties of music chex mix. Its fun to have a driving metal song like Dream Theater "As I Am" played right next to Ben Harper's "Homeless Child".

But what I was really wanting was something like this which looks promising thought I haven't tried it yet.

I will, and I'll give you my opinions.

I want to be able to assign a mood tag to each of my songs to indicate just where it should fit in during a musical shuffle. Some nights, late when I just feel like lying in bed with the lights low and enjoying being in bed with nowhere to go I like slow soft music. That little bit of reverential nirvana then inevitably gets interrupted by some heavy metal tune, that had I been up and busy, would have been appropriate, but considering my prone state.. not so much.

What I want is a playlist editor with maybe four or five definable tabs that I can use to assign to each tune in my collection. I can choose songs that I feel are sad and slow and songs that I feel are upbeat and driving. The random shuffler can then know to avoid the slow sappy tunes when I'm active and running around as well as avoid those heavy metal driving tunes while I lay in bed contemplating my "role in the universe".

I've always secretly resented the convention that artists abide by that says that they should present a mix of styles over the course of their album. This, of course renders it useless as a soundtrack to any particular moment. With the exception of a few artists that consistently put out one dimensional records (the Cowboy Junkies come to mind) most feel obligated to include at least one poppy tune in the collection.

Damn them!

But now we can fight back. With the playlist on many Mp3 players you can cherrypick your music collection and put together custom collections of songs for various listening situations. This works fine but I was thinking of something a little more organic, a system where songs have attributes and you can specify which attributes to stress in your listening.

We'll see if Moodplayer can deliver.

Update: After downloading Moodlogic and installing it you have to activate your song collection. Which means that the program lokos up your songs in a database and saves that information to use to create "mixes". The database itself is user created and I went through the process, which involved picking a genre, instrumentation and moods for the tempo and lyrics. This information submitted by users into the database is used to creat mixes according to categories. I found the most useful tool to be mixes by genre, where, for instance, you can pick "Alternative" and hit mix. The program creates a list of songs to play in a Mp3 player. On the mix screen there is a wheel marked " Hang, Punch, Get Up, Easy, Relax, Blue and Suprise", of course clicking one of these buttons will generate a mix according to that description.

Does it work? Well.... yeah.

Clicking on Electronica and then Relax gave me this mix of available songs:

Afterlife - Blue Bar
Zero 7 - In the Waiting Line
Air - PLayground Love (Vibrophone Version)
Zero 7 - Distractions
mum - Green Grass Tunnel
Royskopp - A Higher Place
Dntel - Life is Full of Possibilities
mum - We Have a Map of the Piano
Afterlife - Makes Me Feel
mum - There is a Number of Small Things
Zero 7 - I Have Seen
Zero 7 - Give it Away

Not bad, I even have the option of picking a more or less diverse selection of songs.

The downside, well, it costs money for one. You pay $39.99 for a full version that operates beyond the five day trail period. That's too step for me, but it might be right for you.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens