Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
1.20.2004
 
Why I don't put bumber stickers on my car either.

brushstroke.tv:

Link courtesy of Orcinus

"A couple of hours later, while still in Alabama, but close to the Mississippi border, he stopped at a gas station for a drink. As he got out of the car, a team of three crackers approached him and tried to pick a fight. Seeing the large dogs, they backed off, but by this point he'd had enough. Before entering Mississippi, he pulled off the road and ripped the Dean sticker off his bumper. I can't say as I blame him."


Wow, cool site, weird story (that's just the ending). I never put anything on my car, mainly because of my fear of a confrontation like the story from brushstroke.tv. I have however thought that a little preemptive action might be in order in the form of a little fish symbol and an American flag emblazoned with the words "God Bless America". True story... I was sitting at a light and the three cars in front of me either had a fish, a God Bless America flag or both. I know I chose to continue living in the twilight zone and most days I can ignore that little quirk of okie life, other days its like a flashing neon light outside your hotel window. Sorta...

I know that if I fly under the radar and never broadcast my opinions to anyone most people will assume that I either agree with them or have no opinions at all. Or if they entertain the idea that I have contrary opinions they appreciate my good taste to not express them. We can remain civil under an umbrella of ignorance. Bumber stickers, little fish symbols, flags etc. all make us a little uneasy. Sheesh, now I know that good gentlemen who apologized for blocking the crushed ice while getting his Diet Coke wants Bush/Cheney in 2004!

I once knew this girl/women that plastered her car with every liberal progressive sticker she could get her hands on. I appreciate that she wants to advertise her support for the causes she supports but I also felt that pushing the issue of politics into our daily lives is a little... wrong. Because you see, politics aside, we all get along pretty well as we get gas, stand in line at the grocery store or go through other numerous daily social interactions. I tend to think that politics, while important in the big picture, is fairly inconsequential in the course of our daily grind.

I know that if I should choose to advertise my opinions in the form of hats, shirts or bumper stickers, the level of violence, real or threatened would escalate. I know this because while working to get Nader on the Oklahoma ballot or protesting against the invasion of Iraq it did. I'll never forget the cars swerving too close to the curb where I stood, just to intimidate me, and for what? I brought politics out into the open.

Our illusion of civility protected by useful ignorance.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens