Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
1.16.2004
 
In and Around Tulsa Town

(no political content)

Every so often I feel the urge to "go into town". I can say that now that I reside out at the end of a long street that heads out of "town". Tonight I needed to get out for a bit. I thought I might swing by Borders, for lack of a better place to go. I had spent the better part of the day doing one of two things; sleeping and recording a new song. Sleeping because I stayed up way too late last night working on designing an album cover only to discover that the template is a little too short. I had used a sample that was not standard size I suppose. So at 4am I called it quits, printed out a rough copy and discovered the flaw. Today's recording went a long way towards relieving my frustration over the album cover.. incident.

I'm pleased that when I get an idea for a song I can usually get it down with a minimal amount of effort and usually have a decent sounding product on the other end. I credit this to process. I determine the tempo, work out a suitable click track, import that over into Samplitude and record a rough track to get the song structure down. Today's song only had a single acoustic guitar (double), a lead acoustic guitar and vocals. Breakthroughs included a new approach to vocals. I laid down two tracks back to back so the sonic identity would be identical (problems of a home studio to be sure) and then went through and picked out the best of both perfomances, this was helpful in getting rid of a few vocal gaffes that I would otherwise have had to live with or redo later.

The song's nothing I'm overly proud of, the chords are cliche and the lyrics are almost... bad, its kinda country but its fun to listen to and I'm proud of the lead parts!

But enough about the song... the rest of the evening...

So I headed off to Border's, thinking I would get some coffee and look through the latest copy of Electronic Musician or Sound on Sound. I didn't even realize that it was raining when I made that decision. But I was undeterred. Luckily I had picked up Zero 7's Simple Things and stuffed it into my trusty cd holder. I drove out into the rain with a perfect musical companion in Sophie Barker and Sia Furler. I went all the way out to the location at 21st and the Broken Arrow Exp. (64/51) and felt pretty silly about making the trek just to look at a few magazines and drink a cup of coffee. But you see, its not like I can do that in BA, because there just isn't much out here. You shouldn't have to drive half an hour to find a suitable place to "hang out". Right?

Border's was dull, it was a friday night and there were lots of people milling about talking on their cell phones. "I'm hangin out at Borders where are you?" So I headed upstairs to look through the music. They have probably the best selection of anyone in town. While I was there I saw copies of The Notwist, Rosie Thomas and Mojave 3. I didn't buy anything but the Mojave 3 was tempting. I went back down, bought cup of coffee (plain black) and flipped through EM, reading a review of Samplitude 7.11. About a quarter of the way through my coffee I was tired of that scene and headed back into the rain which was coming down even harder.

Back in the car, Simple Things playing, I turned down 15th Street and drove towards Harvard, passing by Umberto's along the way. I turned back around and pulled through the back way at Umberto's. I was hungry and a Calzone sounded so good I had to stop. I had been craving Umberto's for a while. A missed connection with a friend last week denied me of a chance to eat there so I was due. I was due damnit!

If you live in Tulsa, you owe yourself to go by Umbertos' Pizza by the Slice. Its one of my favorite places in all of Tulsa. It's small, the guy who runs the place is always friendly and pleased to see you and the food is phenomenal! But what am I saying? Everybody who reads this thing lives in OKC. Where are my Tulsa people?

I ordered a Calzone with mushrooms and green peppers. They make it fresh right there from what I can tell is all handmade ingredients. I sat for a bit and read through the latest Urban Tulsa. If your not familar with the Urban Tulsa, its like the Spot in the Tulsa World, but not quite as good. Definately not up to the caliber of the Dallas Observer. The best thing that can be said about the UT is that it has event listings. This issue had their yearly (I can only assume) list of Tulsa's movers and shakers. I didnt make it this year. There's always next year right? I hope it wasn't in order because they had their own publisher ranked near the top. I could only speculate why the publisher of a two bit event listing with copped stories would be a mover and shaker, over other more notable people even. I can only assume a lack of humility. If they had a lick of sense that would have had that guy from Bartcop listed. Who knew that Tulsa was home to one of the most "out there" fire-breathing liberals on the web? Go T-Town!

Exciting evening? Well, not really. But I miss midtown. I've lived at or near 31st and Harvard and 51st and Peoria and enjoyed it immensely. I loved walking to the grocery store, or hopping on a bike to return a rental. This driving 10 miles just to get to the highway stuff is a bit trying. But hey, I like the living arrangements and I can't afford to live by myself right now, so I deal. If that means driving into town simply to "be there" and blow a couple bucks on calzone and coffee then so be it.

According to Zero 7's website, they have a new album coming out in March of 2004 with a new single avalable for download on the 19th of this month!!


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens