Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
2.17.2005
Spreading Okieness
 
A few okie blogs I've never seen before...

The Pub: New Years resolutions and tomorrow.:

"7) I am going to drink more wine, more good beer, and less crappy beer. This is a biggy."


Sounds good, you make the blogroll. Cheers!

Streak's Blog: Soundtrack of my life

Wilco. This may be one of the best bands that I have ever heard. Jeff Tweedy was originally in a band called Uncle Tupelo, and Wilco is his second band. What a band! From the poppy sound of A.M., to the really interesting rhythms of Summer Teeth and Being There, or the thoughtful and political Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, or personal and reflective A Ghost is Born. It is all great.


Oh, you so made the blogroll!!! Some are teeth.

panta ta ethne : A privileged girl gets a good dose of reality...

"Reading Fast Food Nation has made me think about the difficult but valuable learning experience I had working at a fast food restaurant last summer. Being in that context gave me a different perspective on things. And I could get Braum’s Ice Cream and Dairy Stores in a lot of trouble. I should. The sexism, unfair labor practices, and major health code violations would anger even a hard-core pro-business right-winger. I should start a worker’s revolution so they could unionize.


ok, I like you too. Viva la Revolucion!

the parish : I Forgot My Big Goat Head

"That ought to get me excommunicated, disfellowshipped, or warlocked (which is what happens in Wiccan circles)."


Post evangelical writer? interesting...

All you guys are on probation, you cease to be entertaining and *whoosh* you're gone.

-----o-----


If you read this blog you may get the impression that I am anti-religious. But in reality I don't mind people being religious at all. I recognize that spiritual questions are part of being human. We strive for some kind of fellowship with other people about the big questions we all share.

I get really excited when I see people within the religious world fighting the right wingers that wish to drag the idea of religion back to the dark ages. Being a religious person does not mean that you have to be a frothing fundamentalist. You can be a reasonable member of the 21st century and still have faith in the big head in the sky. I'll let others work out the details.

UPDATE:

I went for a little drive and had a few more thoughts about religion pop up in my head.

Too often there is a tendency to split sides and assume who will be your friends and who will be your enemies based on assumptions. The rightwingers assume that they can count on the religious people to back them up. The assumption goes that Christians will line up behind other Christians no matter how poorly they represent the faith. Thus, Pat Robertson can claim a much larger representation than he actually has and the hucksters that peddle religion as a source of income and power will be shielded from criticism.

The way I see, if we are going to be drawing up sides, there's fundamentalism on one side and the rest of humanity on the other.

Fundamentalism comes in many flavors, left, right, religious, environmental, nationalistic, secular etc.. with the common thread being that they all agree that their way is the TRUTH and all other sides should be marginalized or destroyed.

So it comes as no surprise that fundies hate other fundies. Each side then tries to draw the rest of us into their conflict by deception and inflammatory rhetoric. They wish to prey on our sense of tribal loyalty and turn us all into fundies. And in the fervor of heated debate and when we're feeling most threatened I can see how that mentality can have a certain appeal...

"If only we could get rid of those people!"

But its never going to happen. The best we can ever hope for is a world in which we all agree to let others be, in exchange for our own continued liberty. To that end, the rest of us need to work together to protect our mutual freedoms.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens