Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
2.11.2005
A Series of...
 
You would think that a day off, that ended up being a day at work, would be one in which to gripe about.

But not so today.

Even though is WAS my day off, I merely stopped by work to make a small purchase to aid in my earlier cleaning efforts.

But I did so AFTER I treated myself to a movie; a matinee of "A Very Long Engagement" playing at AMC. The movie was just what I needed. Sadly, its no longer playing after today. So consider this is a poorly timed recommendation.

Or think if it as an early rental recommendation?

Or if your reading this in some other city you might still catch it on the big screen.

Do so.

As chance would have it, I walked into a situation for which a person was needed. I accepted the offer. Thus I was there to meet what was possibly the most charming (and quite attractive) woman ever.

"Meet" is a strong word, "interact with" is a better phrase.

I consider it bad form to ask out a girl while working and I stick to that. It seems like such a violation of trust to take what should be a fairly nuetral interaction, scripted, in part, on an agreed upon framework, and go beyond the prescribed limits.

But if I was ever tempted.. today was the day.

Am I way off base here? Am I taking things too seriously? Your input would be highly appreciated!

Part of me thinks that I really should just seize on a situation when it arises, no matter when and where. I'm really very good at coming up with reasons to avoid uncomfortable situations.

Maybe, too good?

I take comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one that suffers from this affliction. Kilgore Trout, sensing what I was going through today offered this insight:

Temporary crushes, by contrast, offer lots of room for fantasy and self-delusion. For example, let's say you stopped at PetSmart earlier this evening to buy some rat chow. And let's say that the cash register girl was awfully cute: agreeably flat-chested, long dark hair and matching dark eyes, and a smile that would make Apollo squint -- toothsome but not toothy, flirtatious but not wanton, friendly, warm, possibly even genuine.

Your encounter with Ms. Smiley lasted perhaps 90 seconds, from "Did you find everything okay?/Sure did, thanks." to "Have a good night./Yeah, you too." But, as you fight traffic in Cherry Creek, you convince yourself that there was a connection. Nothing major, but as you entered your PIN, you felt a spark pass between you. And you're pretty sure the guy in front of you didn't get quite as nice a smile when she scanned his biodegradable kitty litter. Yeah. She seemed to perk up a little when you came through the line, like she'd been waiting all day to talk to someone like you. Or maybe even you specifically -- you'd been in that store before, and maybe she saw you check out with another cashier and thought, "Wow, he's cute! I hope the next time he comes in he goes through my line!" Now that you think about it, there was an unmistakable hint of recognition in her eyes when she greeted you. Probably she wanted to tell you that she was getting off work in just an hour, if you wanted to grab a caramel-chocolate lattemochaccino at the Peabody's Coffee across the street, but maybe she's shy, or maybe PetSmart has a policy prohibiting employees from hitting on customers, which is bullshit; how can PetSmart stand in the way of something that feels so right? You were this close to asking her out yourself, but you didn't want to embarrass her in front of the other customers, and besides, why not let things simmer for another week or two, until you need to come back for chew toys?

None of this is true, of course. Ms. Smiley probably had a number of things on her mind -- her sick four-year-old, maybe, or her delinquent car payment, or her aching feet -- and couldn't pick you out of a police lineup if you built a rat chow bomb and blew up an elementary school. But who cares? It's not about reality, it's about generating the best possible mental images during your daily autoerotic stimulation session.


Thanks KT for that perspective (expect for that last sentence).

Its hard to guage whether this was a good day or a bad day.

I don't feel sad?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens