Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
5.31.2004
 
Slow Week : Holiday Hours

Its been slow to update lately. I moved my music keyboard up onto the desk to play some piano and that makes it a little more difficult to type on my computer keyboard as well. I can never quite get it to balance, so its always sliding and bouncing around when I'm trying to type.

Negative feedback.

I've been celebrating. Trying to have a little fun before I die. That, and I've been working. The good thing about people quitting at work all the time is that they have to give me more hours to work. I know they consider going to self-serve whenever they think about putting me out there more often but that just isn't an option now is it guys?

An absence of options.

I did however get a chance to read through the latest Bill Whittle essays: STRENGTH (Part 1) and STRENGTH (Part 2).

I understand why people like to quote and link Mr. Whittle. He has a very excited and convincing style of writing that is ripe for blockquoting. However, his articles are full of fallacious thinking. That cannot be ignored no matter how convincingly he writes.

I could spend all day refuting each of his assertions one by one. But I would rather just ask that you not assume that his gross caricatures of Liberals are true in any broad sense whatsoever. I could just as easily point out all the ridiculous things that people like Robertson or Falwell say and tar the entire right wing as idiots. I could do so with flowery language and analogies but in the end I've done nothing more than create the web's biggest strawman.

I could then pander to your ego and stroke your own sense of entitlement but what do you gain from that? From what I can tell, you get a warped view of history and our place in it.

Yes, our American society is a great thing. And no, I as a liberal, have no desire to hand it over to the fundies, of either the Islamic or Christian varieties. I, unlike Mr. Whittle am equally at ease pointing the finger at that pattern of human behavior as being abhorrent in all forms. That we emerged from that kind of thinking was a product of secular ideals. While Mr. Whittle praises what we have become he panders to the mentality that we overcame and ignores the process by which we achieved our success.

Let's give a little credit where its due.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens