Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
5.08.2004
 
File Under...

Learned something new: Saturday.

(Updated)

When you wander off into foreign territory (blogwise), as I have done recently, you have to learn new vocabulary; new shorthand. So I had to do a little digging to figure out just what I was being recently accused of...

Moral Equivalence.

I had heard the term before but it lives in a different realm than I routinely visit, namely realms with their feet outside of Cold War mentalities. So with a little digging here and there I was able to get a few takes on just what I was being accused of:

The Myth of Moral Equivalence

Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, (1996)

Their point is that a regime whose practices systematically betray their basic values is obviously a failed regime. If our practices betray our own deepest values then we fail; we are a failed regime. If we pretend to hallow values which our practices do not perfectly achieve, then we are guilty of falsification. So we are both a failure and a fraud. Obviously, such a regime does not deserve the loyalty or affection of either its citizens or its friends. Thus, if the United States is a fraudulent, falsi-fying society which exploits its workers and subjugates all in a facade of democracy, then it is obviously not worthy of respect.


I thought my point was that we should recognize our own failures and work to correct them. I hardly advocate tearing down our liberal democracy because we cannot live up to Utopian values. I am addressing what I feel might be the polar opposite of Moral Equivalence, call it Moral Negligence, the view that we are morally superior and therefore any self-criticism can be dismissed as self-hatred, serving no practical purpose other than giving our enemies weapons.

How odd.

Because you see, its a selective reading of Moral Equivalence, The Iraq Debacle isnot to be confused with this issue:

This has never been more clear than in the current election, when the "character" of a pampered fraternity party boy who couldn't be bothered to serve out his term in the National Guard and who went on to fail miserably at every business venture he touched is successfully depicted as that of a sincere and patriotic regular guy, while that of a three-time Purple Heart winner who voluntarily left Yale to serve in Vietnam, and whose ensuing three decades of public service have been a model of principle and consistency, is somehow depicted as belonging to a spineless elitist.


It flows in one direction.

During my research on Moral Equivalence I found it was a common phrase lobbed about on websites dedicated to the Israeli-Palestinian question. I try to avoid that whole debate as I find it hopelessly mired in bad reasoning and racism. But it seems I can't avoid that tarred terrain should I wander to close too that realm. All I can say is Yikes, don't want to go there, but now I know where the language originates from. Its a debate stopper, much like the other charge leveled at me, that of liar.

What sticks in some people's craw? Well, its the very notion that our own moral superiority might not be enough to protect us from the ultimate effects of occupation and war. We are like the young people that think good kids never get STD's, or have unwanted pregnancies, only the dirty people do. Our shining armor will protect us. God's blessing and all...

The offending article:

Among the corrosive lies a nation at war tells itself is that the glory -- the lofty goals announced beforehand, the victories, the liberation of the oppressed -- belongs to the country as a whole; but the failure -- the accidents, the uncounted civilian dead, the crimes and atrocities -- is always exceptional. Noble goals flow naturally from a noble people; the occasional act of barbarity is always the work of individuals, unaccountable, confusing and indigestible to the national conscience.


Learn something new every day don't we?

Welcome to the "Wingnut Hall of Mirrors".

|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens