Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
1.04.2004
 
Ok, After this, I'll talk about something else for a while!

Dean Now Willing to Discuss His Faith (washingtonpost.com):
"'Faith is important in a lot of places, but it is really important in the South -- I think I did not understand fully how comfortably religion fits in with daily life -- for both black and white populations in the South,' he said. Dean has visited South Carolina, which holds its presidential primary Feb. 3, nine times since the beginning of the campaign. 'The people there are pretty openly religious, and it plays an ingrained role in people's daily lives,' he said. "


Oh boy, has Dean stepped in it.

I think he should just be honest about his religious faith, that he's mostly secular and that its a good thing. The problem as he is realizing is that no matter how immoral and despicable a person's actions may be, as long as he parades his religion around (a la Bush) you can get a pass. You can be the most generous, moral person roaming the face of the planet and still get the shaft over someone less so because of their willingness to profess their "faith". Affirmative action anyone?

I know from where I speak on this one.

Religion is alot like patriotism. It can be a form of social posturing. Around here its not uncommon to see a Fish symbol plastered next to a flag sticker. In some cases that will be right next to a OU football helmet decal. Don't laugh, I've seen it more often than I care to think about it. I don't understand it myself, but then I have a strong contrarian streak. If I see lots of people doing something I feel a strong impulse to do the opposite. And I always root for the underdogs!

Dean's catching flak for having a Jewish wife and not pushing christianity on his kids. I say bravo for him. He was able to look past religious differences and not let that keep him from doing what he thought was best for himself and his family. The cult-like wing of christianity will never be happy with anyone who doesn't know the secret handshake and press for a theocratic state. The majority of people use their common sense more than most politicians give them credit for and hopefully will value honesty over pandering.

I can only hope Dean doesn't lose what respect I have for him by trying to cater to a small but vocal minority of people that judge people solely on their religious posturing.

I may be wrong.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens