Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
6.01.2003
 
The Asshole Discount

Right now I work in retail. I have for the past few years. It has taught me plenty about people and the way they think. It has helped me learn to interact and get along with all types of different people. A reading of Deborah Tannen's "You Just Don't Undertstand" helped as well. But I see a disturbing trend originating out of the retail world, most especially out of the corporate chains. My friend Sarah called it the Asshole discount. I'm not sure if she made that up or not.

Here's the way it works: You go into a store and you demand something that most people would not, most likely some sort of discount, or the ability to return goods that are clearly not in resellable condition. When the store declines to accede to your demands you just get more angry and ask to see a manager, who capitulates and apologizes for having any sort of backbone whatsoever. The customer gets what they want, only because they were willing to make a complete asshole out of themselves.

A real life example: The other day a man lets me know that he wishes to purchase an item. He looks me in the eyes and says "What kind of discount can I get, ten percent?". I let him know that the item was already reduced as part of a special promotion and that I would not lower the price any further. To which he lets me know that he has purchased something from this store before and he expects a discount. He then asks that I speak to a manager. I do and the manager capitulates and reduces the price further. I inform the man and he asks me what I will throw in for free and suggests a few items. I say "Sure, what else do you want? Some of (these) or (these)?" I point out a few things. He senses my sarcasm and I tell him, "I can't give you anything for free." The manager backs me up (finally). The customer purchases the items and leaves. Scenarios like these happen quite frequently. I doubt the company made any money from this customer. He was able to get the item he wanted for less money than other people simply because he was willing to make a jerk out of himself. He was rewarded for his poor behavior.

I see this as the equivalent of pulling over at McDonalds every time your child screams and cries that he wants a happy meal. If you do then you'll never be able to say no ever again without getting poor behavior. But corporate chains (and some small ones as well) are in essence creating a climate of cry-babies that realize they need only scream and act like petulant children if they want something. This punishes people that act properly and with good behavior. Plus it creates a pattern of behavior that forces otherwise nice people to act in ways that they would rather not just so they don't get ripped off.

Some would call it shrewd, I think it sucks. I personally don't care much if the company loses money. I just hate giving people what they want just because they act up.

(whew... got that off my chest!)




|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens