Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
5.04.2006
I Know Funny
 
So Not Funny:

"Why are you wasting my time with Colbert, I hear you ask. Because he is representative of what too often passes for political courage, not to mention wit, in this country. His defenders -- and they are all over the blogosphere -- will tell you he spoke truth to power. This is a tired phrase, as we all know, but when it was fresh and meaningful it suggested repercussions, consequences -- maybe even death in some countries. When you spoke truth to power you took the distinct chance that power would smite you, toss you into a dungeon or -- if you're at work -- take away your office."


This is funny.

The assumption is that you're not taking any risk unless its a risk of being tossed in a dungeon. This is ironic considering the attacks on Colbert following his performance. Of course I thought his routine was hilarious and quite necessary. Too few people have gotten the chance to bring issues directly to people in power. Our press is hesitant to risk their careers bringing up the unpleasant facts about this president and his performance as the "Decider".

I not sure if Richard Cohen, the author of the piece quoted above was channelling Good Morning Vietnam when he wrote this piece but witness the similarities:

Cohen:

I am a funny guy. This is well known in certain circles, which is why, even back in elementary school, I was sometimes asked by the teacher to "say something funny" -- as if the deed could be done on demand. This, anyway, is my standing for stating that Stephen Colbert was not funny at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner.


Good Morning Vietnam: (warning: popups galore!)

I understand you're pretty funny as a deejay, and... well, comedy is a kind of hobby of mine. Well-- Well, actually, it's a little more than just a hobby. Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes.


But let's leave you with funny. Donald Rumsfeld deny his own words by ducking behind the troops (yet again!)

Now that's funny Mr. Cohen.

(via eschaton)

|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens