Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
5.14.2005
Mil-Mart
 
newsobserver.com | NC News Wire:
"Twohig said the Army told him when he joined that they would take care of him, and taking care of his family is part of that.

'I didn't expect them to mistreat me or anybody, even if I didn't go to Iraq,' he said. 'I think they are shafting everybody.'"


There's more to the story, and when I read it I couldn't help but think about the parallels between the government and corporate america. We're the shareholders in the government and it acts in our name. We are responsible for its actions, and that is why I felt it was necessary to protest the start of this war. I knew that it was a mistake, and I knew that other people, people that I would be responsible for, would be hurt, sometimes mortally, losing their lives, sometimes critically, losing their ability to live a normal life.

Asking people to give up their lives is a large sacrifice to ask someone to make, and one that I feel too many people take too lightly. That's what I hear when people backpedal away from the rationales for this war. If we're there to protect the American people from harm, then it might be fair to ask people to give their lives. But that case was never made effectively. The evidence of threat was weak, and it has been disproven. The bar should be set high, and the case should be airtight. We've let the government lower the bar and thus we've allowed them to devalue the lives of the people serving to protect the nation.

Now we devalue those lives even more. We have asked people to risk their lives for a cause and we have made promises to soldiers in exchange for their service. and now, once they are of no use to us an longer? When they die we shuffle them off, unseen, to be buried? When they are injured we deny that their injuries are serious or that they were a result of their military service? We deny them the money and care that we promised?

I'd expect as much from Wal-Mart.

(link via eschaton)

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens