Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
2.04.2005
Designing Websites
 
What's wrong with the internet?

Web designers who feel that each website that they create has to include every programming language and animated doo-dad available so that they can put in on their resume. In turn leading to messy, slow, unorganized websites that do nothing more than slow your computer to a crawl and make you want to hit ALT-F4.

Sounds. Face it, nobody wants to have music load up with a website. Its dead, its annoying, its a bad idea. ok?

Too many ads. I know its a source of revenue. But when it causes a website to become a blinking, chirping mess with the content buried someone underneath people would just rather move on than dig for what they want.

Lack of design. This goes back to my first point. Too much of the web is created by computer geeks that have no clue about function. Its best if users can look at a site and figure it out quickly with minimal amounts of thinking (and clicking). Its also best to keep the load times of your pages down to a minimum so that even when people have high speed connections they aren't having to download content that does nothing to enhance their experience.

Sometimes I'll load up these big expensive corporate websites and it will take ten minutes of wading through flash introductions and fancy web gizmos to even get the front page. And then, the menus won't even link to the content I need until I go through some ardous search process. At what point did it beceom good business practice to make your customers frustrated and angry?

They are there for information, not fancy animations and popup menus.

I hope I've kept this website readable. I've tried to avoid any unneccesary java or images that might keep it from loading smoothly and quickly. Ultimately I want you to get here quick, read what I have to say, a leave a comment for gawd's sake.

If there's something about this website that bothers you or you don't like, mention it and I'll take it under consideration.

But... enough complaining, I think I'll just watch The Shawshank Redemption again and go to bed.

Luckily, even though I work this Sunday, I get off in time to come home and watch the Super Bowl. Ha!

---- UPDATE -----


I should not have referred to people that are ruining the web as "Computer geeks", a term that has different meanings for different people. I was actually thinking about one guy I was friends with a few years ago that was a genuis. He was still in highschool and was already working for a software company writing code. One day he asked me to look over a website that we had created for a client, a computer sales company. When I visited the site is was such a mess of tables, Java and flashing gifs that couldn't quite figure out where one would actually buy something.

Computer people aren't the only ones that forget that form should follow function. The inclination for "aspiring" webdesigners is to take any website, no matter how simple it should be, and turn it into a showcase of their skills.

The best websites offer compelling content to their visiters and give them a reason to return again and again. That is the hardest part of running a website; keeping it interesting day after day. I don't care how slick your graphics, or how cool the animations, or the intro page, if the content is stall (see almost any record company homepage for a band) people will never come back.

One of the reasons that blogs have become such an interesting trend is that it lowers the barrier of creating a page away from people that have content to provide. The web used to be a pretty boring place, with much of the real excitement of the Internets coming from forums, IRC, email and newgroups, places that were essentially areas of text but offered something new with each visit, while most webpages were static and rarely updated. It was just too damn hard to pop open your HTML every time you wanted to add some content.

..and, Shawshank Redemption is an awesome movie.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens