Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
1.16.2005
Smart Choices
 
I've just recently discovered denny's very thoughtful blog, "Where We're Bound". Its a good read and there are even podcasts to download. I would also like to thank denny for visiting and leaving some comments here as well.

I left this comment over at his site. I was pleased with what I wrote, so I'm going to reproduce it here as well.

You don't have to fool the people. What you can do is put them in a situation where they fool themselves.

Self-deception can be very powerful. Even intelligent people will go along with an obvious lie if they intuit that the consequences of changing their position might be bad for their social or financial standing. People will ignore evidence that questions their beliefs, they will disengage with people that question them and they will give unwarranted credence to people that re-inforce their beliefs. I have seen it first hand, many times.

One of the toughest challenges I face when confronting Bush people is the connection he has fostered between his party and christianity. If your church, preacher and peers all equate Bush/GOP with God's will, then believing that Bush is a lair means questioning the judgment of your entire social-religious network. You face being ostracized for your disent and it might mean questioning your own religious faith. If the negative consequences of turning on Bush is higher than the rewards, then people will find a way to rationalize a way to maintain their belief, even if the evidence is overwhelming.

Bush knows that he only has to keep denying any wrongdoing and reinforcing the tribal connections of his party and his followers will fill in the blanks.

That's what I feel anyways.


This is a better explanation than just simply saying "people are stupid". I live in a state that overwhelmingly supports Bush and his agenda. I look around and I don't see that people here are any more stupid or ignorant than people anywhere else. But there is a strong social impetus to follow the consensus. I've come to feel that the highly religious atmosphere here drives the political climate.

But we can't ignore the influence that money and identity play in people's political decisions as well. People make decisions in political matters much in the same way that they make decisions in consumer matters. In fact, much of the same marketing techniques developed and refined to get you to favor one product over another has been applied to your choice of candidate as well. But the stakes are higher than whether or not people prefer Macintosh or Windows, Apple or Dell, and iPod or a Rio.

It matters little to me if someone buys a Dodge Ram with HEMI power because they feel it reinforces their own manly image or if someone feels like buying a Saturn SUV makes them feel like their father -- because that doesn't affect me like politics affects me.

Shouldn't we apply a higher standard of objectivity to our political choices?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens