Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
6.10.2004
 
Best off... drug testing

Okiedoke - Vintage Okie opinion :: June :: 2004

Okiedoke has just been voted in as Best Okie Blog for 2004 by the editors of TICW. It was close but Mike edged out the former winner by one vote. Congratulations Mike on a spit-polished website.

Sadly, we mourn the continuing deteriation of last years winner. We wish them the best and hope that they get back to your former stellar self instead of just recycling tired talking points.

This election is ad hoc and held whenever the Editors are all in the same room together.

Moving on... From Okiedoke we learn that Sen. Nickles has received a Lifetime Acheivement Award from Associated Builders and Contractors. A group that seems to hate unions but ironically has a "Become a Member" button on their site. Seems they don't mind collective actions as long as they are on the giving end.

Bastards.

How to Become a Member

Click here to contact your local chapter directly for information on services and dues.


Chapters? Dues? I thought these were good, red blooded Americans? They have a flag on their symbol after all. But I forget its only green blooded communism when its the workers doing the organizing.

Take notice of their paycheck stuffers, my favorite:

Watch your paycheck for your upcoming tax relief!

Thanks to President Bush and the Congress, you may see a reduction in your income tax rate. This means your take-home pay could go up!
For certain taxpayers, rates will continue to decline in future years.

And, if you paid taxes this year, watch your mail for a tax refund check of up to $600 of YOUR hard-earned money returned to You!


Subtle. Nice to see that they are subjecting their employees to fair and balanced information.

-----


But I was going to post on something more troubling that I got thinking about again when I read this post over at Okiedoke.

Pre-employment drug testing.

I had to take a test before I was hired for my last job. It involved giving a sample of body fluids so that they could probe around for the presence of illegal substances.

This is a violation of my privacy in so many ways that I am surprised there is no law protecting my right to refuse this test. Or is there? Of course they found nothing. Why? Because I don't take drugs, that's why. However just because I'm not a drug user doesn't mean that I want people poking around in my urine to find out what I do on my own time.

I could have refused but I might not have been hired. Its not direct coercion but if every employer in town has the same policy then it might as well be. But what I want to know is this:

I can understand their policies that state that employees, on the work premises, performing job duties must be free from mind altering substances.. but, they are not a law enforcement entity. Whether or not I break the law in my free time is really not their concern as long as I show up for work and do my job safely and correctly. If I break the law in my free time that is a matter for the police, not my employer. If I get caught it will go on my record but as I understand it, unless I get caught and convicted of committing a crime I am innocent of that crime.

By poking around in my urine, my employer is going beyond learning if I have been convicted of a crime to learning if I have commited a crime that has not been before a court of law. That, to me sounds like a law enforcement duty.

Correct me if I'm wrong and please explain why we allow this activity?

There is private tyranny seperate from government tyranny.

I saved an old employee handbook because of one notable paragraph which I reproduce here for your reading pleasure.

Off-Duty Conduct: Off-Duty possession, use, sale or purchase of mind-altering substances and off-premise alcohol abuse is also prohibited. Alcohol abuse for the purpose of this off-duty conduct rule includes unruly behavior by an associate which may tend to harm the reputation of the Company.


I wonder how many people realize that such restrictions are built into their employment agreement? I'm sure a few find out when they get tossed out on their asses.

In essence the employer is reserving the right to punish you for behavior that they do not approve of that may or MAY NOT affect your job performance. Combine this with not so subtle political message of anti-union, anti-environmentalism, and anti-tax and you might think twice before putting that Nader '04 sticker on the car you drive to work huh?

Its not secret that corporate america is lined up behind Bush and his brand of cronyism. Finding a stuffer in your paycheck is a little like finding a horsehead in your bed isn't it?


|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens