Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
12.28.2003
 
We See Broadcasting

Channel 47, I don't know what its called, but its the religious station here in Tulsa. I should say Christian, but its a unique variety. Upon watching it, you would assume that agenda is pure and simple; misinformation. I tend to think that it shows anything and everything that claims itself to be Christian, no matter how "out there".

Occasionally I tune in to hear people spreading general fallacies and misinformation about evolution. Dragging out some old claims that have been debunked for years. They also claim that the constitution is a direct result of biblical teachings, despite the quite obvious time lag between the writing of the bible and the idea of representational government. And they have no qualms in claiming this is a Christian nation, right after extolling the virtues of religious freedom. Can you have it both ways? Real religious freedom would mean that you accept that the United States might not always be a Christian nation. Is that true? Does religious freedom have limits then? Say... As long as its mostly Christian then you're free to be a Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim? Once we hit 50% "other" then all bets are off?

More often they run programs that claim Christianity is the source of all that is good in the world. Right now as I type this they have the balls to claim that Christianity is the source of modern medicine. I wonder about that claim myself, seeing as how science has had to fight religious dogma for centuries to get to where its at now. I admit that many Christian people feel moved to do good, to take care of others, but to claim that all good originates from Christianity and that without it the world would be, in the words of one speaker a "cruel and heartless place" is a stretch.

The preacher James Kennedy just asked for 8 million dollars! This, a small price to keep the world from slipping into the abyss of secularism.

Ok, I shouldn't get so riled up by this, I have to understand that TV preachers are to religion as pot smoking hippies are to liberalism. Not exactly a good representational sample...

My sister asked me, "Why do you watch that?". I told her, "I wanna know where people get these ideas..." Its no wonder people around here sometimes seem so misinformed, we have a 24 hour propaganda network that has no sense of accountability for telling the truth. You might be hard pressed to find a equivalent network that makes the claim that the world would sink into a "cruel and heartless place" without secularism. I wonder sometimes how much of this gets repeated from the pulpit. I once had a friend that got tapes from his church that "proved" that dinosaurs and humans co-existed, a claim that has to be made if you are to accept biblical time lines. I feel no desire to do so. I feel perfectly free to accept the evidence as its presented and not try to make it conform to my preconceived beliefs about the world.

I enjoy that freedom. I wish it to all. I would like to thank the great thinkers of old that paved the way for my freedom to reject dogma in favor of... Reality.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens