Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
12.24.2003
 
Recommendations?

Music is my religious experience. I have often wondered just why human beings place such high importance on beauty. What purpose does it serve? I don't know. But I'm glad that I can sit and listen to a great piece of songwriting and experience sheer joy.

Here are some artists that got me through the year with a smile on my face. This is just a sample, there were many more...

  • Wilco - Hotel Yankee Foxtrot :: This one took a while but now... its brilliant and has inspired my own writing. Its ok to bury an instrument now and then, they don't all have to sparkle out front. I know this now, thanks Jeff.

    "when its hot in the poor places tonight // I'm not going outside"


  • Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider :: I'm sure I can never sing like Mark Linkous does on his slowest songs. Sparklehorse is the absolute best for slow creepy songs whispered out your speakers.

    "he sees the dawn sneak // into the room // and knows the dogs will // be up soon"


  • Ben Harper - 3 :: I took the plunge and picked up some Ben Harper this year after hearing about him from various sources. I'm glad I did. It fit with the whole theme of this year. Slow, sad and sorrowful. Ben does that so well. Another singer with an amazing voice for acoustic, strummed ballads. He also captured some of the best sounding acoustic guitar sounds I have ever heard. Special Mentions : Jack Johnson, Pete Yorn.

    Oppresion // To divide and to conquer is your goal


  • The Postal Service - Give Up ::Yes, it is possible to combine pop, 80's Synth rock and modern electronic beats with cut and paste loops and noises, and have it sound good. But apparently its best done through the mail. Special mentions : Death Cab for Cutie, Dntel, The Shins.

    Its not a party if it happens every night


  • The Notwist - Neon Golden :: Another electronic band. After the third song I downloaded from them turned out just as good as the first two I decided to pick up the cd. There was just one on the shelf. I bought it, and never regretted that decision. I'm still trying got figure out how they get the stereo separation they do while still creating a very closed and dark sound. Special Mentions: Mum, Zero 7, Royskopp.

    You're the pincard, you're the lifeguard, you're the information guy, but things look much bigger on the knees, on your knees. Miss the signal, miss the signpost, lose the access to it all, and all of a sudden, you are one with the freaks


  • John Mayer - Heavier Things :: I know this makes me a 15 yr old girl, but I still like the songs and he has great songwriting skills. Room for Squares was better.

    You got my heart // Yah, you got my only heart // Yah, you got my only, only heart ugh...


  • I hope you check out some of these amazing artists and you might drop a few suggestions my way as well.

    Have a Merry Christmas and a safe new year y'all.



    |

    About Me

    bruce
    35 yr old
    Married
    Okie
    Highlands Ranch
    Denver
    Colorado
    Student
    Recording Engineer
    Gemini
    Arrogant
    Voted for Kerry
    Voted for Obama
    Scumbag
    Narrow-minded
    Liberal
    Uncle
    Smug
    Hypocrite
    Philosophical Type
    Taken
    Omicron Male
    Feminist Friendly
    22.3% Less Smart
    Whacko
    Rabbit



    Any Box

    email

    Barack Obama Logo
    Get Firefox!




    Dissolve into Evergreens