Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
2.21.2006
Paths
 
I see it as a human tendency to see our own path through life as the most moral and most deserving of praise. After all, if we did not see our own decisions as being the best ones we could make, then we face two possible choices; rationalization or regret. So it stands to reason that we might find ways to defend the path we have taken through life as the best of all possible worlds -- or at least one of the best.

Coupled with that is the reality that choosing certain paths through life will result in greater financial compensation. I can see how it might be tempting to confuse the material success that one has achieved with the moral rightness one feels.

One thing follows the other. "If I where not the most deserving why would I have what I have? If this were not the most just and rewarding system, why should I feel justified in feeling like I deserve the material rewards I enjoy?"

The flip side of that self-reinforcing belief system is that it leads to a judgmental view of differing or opposing paths. "If the path I choose leads to greater material rewards and greater moral certainty, then other paths must certainly lead to less material gain and less moral ways of living."

I'm not saying that I condone this line of thinking, only that I recognize it.

Piled on top of this tendency is the marketing message that reinforces the belief that the "American Dream" is being lived by those with the most material wealth. Every time we turn in the TV, the message is aimed at those with the money to make the corporate dream of ever escalating profits a reality. Its a reality of business; to seek those that can provide businesses with greater profits and to make consumers believe in a version of reality that suits the business world's needs.

So while I think of my own path through life as being rewarding and fulfilling, I have to recognizer that others feel that way as well. I am only bewildered by those that feel like their own path is the only one of worth.

|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens