Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
10.27.2004
Longhorn Style
 
Should we be doing more things "Longhorn Style"?

The Red Sox are winning?
Ashley Simpson made an ass out of herself on LIVE national TV?
And there's this?

Are there some planets aligning, or what?

I only have one more wish.... a resounding Bush defeat. One so bad that there is NO CHANCE that the Supremes or Congress can make a mess out of it.

Please!

There are times when I miss praying. But honestly, when I did pray I would always just pray for sick people. I could never muster up the ego to pray for myself. I thought, "If I'm taking up God's time I might as well ask for something worthwhile."

Thanks to a local pub that gives away beer glasses on Mondays I now have a Guinness glass, from which I drink my Diet Coke.

Sadie linked to an interesting article, from Townhall even:

The Christian who has a bent to the liberal left needs to understand something: while he is skipping around the maypole with his rose-colored glasses on, if it were up to the modern, secularized liberal establishment, he would be more restricted than Bill when Hillary?s in town.


Intellectually void, this article does nothing more than state its thesis in twelve different ways. But then again, I would never accuse anyone on Townhall.com of having an original thought.

But, I tend to agree with Doug Giles, the author of the above quote. Simply because liberalism is a way of thinking, an evidence based approach to the world.

I am not a liberal because I subscribe to a set of ideologies; high taxes, big government, welfare, etc. I am a liberal because I use a method of thought to approach problems.

What the right usually fails to understand is that liberals (by my definition) are liberated in their thought, this runs counter to the idea of authority, dogma and strict ideology.

People who believe in big government as a principle are not liberals in my eyes, they are conservative in their thinking, but in an opposite way than small government conservatives.

Doug Giles refers to liberals as a lazy shorthand for people on the political left, namely democrats; a confusion of terminology perpetuated by the talk show blowhards. By his own definition I think it seems perfectly reasonable to be a Christian and be a democrat; a big government advocate etc.

But, if you are a liberal, a free thinker, you are less likely to be a Christian, simply because the Christian God of the Bible, and the belief in supernatural beings, are so easily disproven by reason.

For the naïve Christian voter who thinks he can toss a ballot in the Nuevo liberal direction, please know that a vote toward the secular left could leave you bereft of sacred liberties.


I believe in religious liberties. I acknowledge that you cannot control what people believe, you can only provide an atmosphere in which education, reason and science are valued. But if you want to believe in the tooth fairy, fine with me.

But Giles is right, I would work to get Christianity out of government. It has no place there. Neither does Islam, Buddhism or Easter Bunny-ism. A government, and its courts, have to be secular in order to be fair to people of all faiths.

If you can't see the connection between that and religious freedom then you are a dingbat.

Speaking of dingbats...leave a comment!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens