Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
2.22.2004
 
Garage Sale Expedition

Spent the day with my Dad. We share a sick fascination with junk. He looks for computer parts and I look for books, cds and camera gear. We went down to the "Biggest Garage Sale" at Expo Square.

Here are the highlights.

The Slide Viewer: Its an Airequipt Superba 33a Projector and it cost me $2.50. Its in great condition and most importantly it has a working bulb and a slide tray. It even came with some slides from 1967 of a family Christmas. I asked the lady how much it costs and she responded "How much is it worth?" Meaning how much would I pay. I thought for a second and said "A couple bucks". Which is what I was prepared to pay. She said it was worth at least five. I agreed and pointed to the sign that read "Everything Half Price" and said "And since everything's half price that would make it $2.50 right?" She didn't seem too pleased by the turn of events but it was a donated item, it was getting late in the day and there I was ready to buy.

So its mine! I finally have a slide projector to look at my slides. Now I just need a place to project them...

The Girl: Some time ago I ran into this cute girl at a thrift store. We talked a little and I was impressed with her. I thought I saw her roaming through the booths today but never ran into her. I kept an eye out, and I'm sure my Dad thought I was acting weird. I guess I was, but cute girls do that to me.

The Books The only thing I really ended up buying besides the projector was a hefty stack of books. I spent way too much time sifting through boxes looking for anything interesting. Most cost less than a quarter, some were part of a "bag of stuff for a buck deal".

Here's what I got:

  • Candide - Voltaire

  • The Jungle - Upton Sinclair

  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig

  • The Tower Commission Report - New York Times

  • The Reivers - William Faulkner

  • Heart of Darkness and Secret Sharer - Joseph Conrad

  • Enlightenment Reader - Viking Portable Library

  • The Enlightenment: The Science of Freedom - Peter Gay

  • Rabbit is Rich - John Updike


  • I had a copy of Catch 22 by Joseph Heller in my hands at one point as well, but let another guy buy it who seemed more interested.

    Any recommendations on where I should start and what I should shelf is greatly appreciated. I've already started reading into the "Enlightenment Reader" since it has short essays by many people I'm curious about. I'm not nearly as educated as I would like to be. I reside in that middle area between the experts and the incurious.


    |

    About Me

    bruce
    35 yr old
    Married
    Okie
    Highlands Ranch
    Denver
    Colorado
    Student
    Recording Engineer
    Gemini
    Arrogant
    Voted for Kerry
    Voted for Obama
    Scumbag
    Narrow-minded
    Liberal
    Uncle
    Smug
    Hypocrite
    Philosophical Type
    Taken
    Omicron Male
    Feminist Friendly
    22.3% Less Smart
    Whacko
    Rabbit



    Any Box

    email

    Barack Obama Logo
    Get Firefox!




    Dissolve into Evergreens