Dissolve into Evergreens
This blog used to be about politics. Not so much anymore as I have worked through my fascination with that subject. It now seems appropriate that with a new president and the end of the Bush nightmare that I move on to new subjects that are more in line with my current interests. I may still occasionally express an opinion about political matters but for the most part I will be commenting on music, photography and personal observations. Thank you for reading.


Current Playlist

Top 100 in iTunes

juscuz's Last.fm Overall Artists 

Chart




Atom Site Feed

B4 d- t k s u- f i- o x-- e- l- c+

Blogarama


< ? Colorado Blogs # >

« - ? Blog Oklahoma * # + »
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
11.22.2003
 
This is Class Warfare : Further Definition and Discussion

Calpundit: Help Out the Strikers

Supermarket chains in California are sharing revenue to break strikers. We should not be suprised that the owning class is working together against the working class. This is class warfare whether or not we realize it. Corporate entities, as the surrogate arm of the owning class only compete in certain realms. They are allied with each other to drive down labor costs. That is the nature of this conflict.

This comment caught my attention:

I find that I am usually the only actual current blue collar worker posting in comments around these blogs and the level of arrogance spouting from pompous jerks who are educated well beyond their level of intelligence never ceases to amaze me.

....

So, to those of you who think you understand the struggles of the working class because you had a tough summer job, or worked a couple years in a factory before going to college, please stuff it.

I agree. Most working class individuals are too busy trying to survive to spend time posting on the internet. I am an exception. I don't have a family, I live very frugally and I have made a conscious decision not to define my life by my spending habits. I am a bad consumer.

My response to this comment pleased me, so I will repeat it here. It sums up what this web page is about. For even if I don't always address this issue, you should know from where I come from.

----

I am working class. Which I define as such; all the money I have and make comes from my own labor, not from the labor of others. By that definition there are lots of us. However, we are constantly beguiled into thinking that we have some allegiance to the investor class, those that earn a majority of their income from other people's labor.

This should come as no suprise, since their voice is dominant in most media and governmental discussions of "economics". This is not a "zero sum" game as one person remarked. Class separation exists. A small group of very wealthy people own or control the vast majority of capital. The amount of ownership represented by the working classes is small, and most resides in large institutional investments (Mutual Funds, Pensions) which are managed by the fund managers, who work for the investor class. So ironically, we have our own money working against our primary interests, namely our wages.

A more representative ownership of capital by the workig class themselves would be better, with managers working FOR us, and not AGAINST us. But that is simply not the reality in America. Ownership is very concentrated. They have a very strong voice in our perception of reality.

I feel that class issues override simple idealogical left/right divisions. We are too often distracted by political forces, working for the investor class, to realize our common goals. Instead we focus on secondary issues pushed to the forefront to drive wedges between what should be shared interests. Meanwhile, corporate entities work across this political divide to drive their interests; maximizing investor wealth and undermining worker rights.

In general, the web is slanted towards people that have relatively middle of the road white collar positions. This will put them in close alliance with management. So its not uncommon for even "liberal" voices to be anti-worker in online forums. There has been a very dramitic shift though, as even skilled labor is now seeing layoffs, wage reductions and increases in health care costs. The tone of the debate is changing, to better reflect the decline in worker security that has been ongoing for more than two decade.

Every job should have dignity. We used to believe that if you worked hard, no matter what you did, then that meant you could support yourself and your family. Are we willing to accept that this is not true anymore? If we are, we should expect everybody's quality of life to suffer. We don't live in a vacuum, and we can only gate off so much of our world.


|

About Me

bruce
35 yr old
Married
Okie
Highlands Ranch
Denver
Colorado
Student
Recording Engineer
Gemini
Arrogant
Voted for Kerry
Voted for Obama
Scumbag
Narrow-minded
Liberal
Uncle
Smug
Hypocrite
Philosophical Type
Taken
Omicron Male
Feminist Friendly
22.3% Less Smart
Whacko
Rabbit



Any Box

email

Barack Obama Logo
Get Firefox!




Dissolve into Evergreens